Valentines Day has many names: Singles Awareness Day, The Hallmark Holiday, The Pay for Love Day, Overpriced Flowers and Chocolates Day, V-day and, my personal favorite, Vagina Day. Yes, Vagina day, because it is all about the ladies. This holiday sparks love into the hearts of many, and hatred into the hearts of even more. Why so much hate for this holiday? If you go on Facebook on Valentines day, all you see is post after post about how stupid this holiday is and what a waste of money and ooooohhhhh I’m single so woe-is-me on this day. You know what? Get over yourselves. I am usually the nice one here but, seriously, why you gotta hate? It makes me angry. Eff all of you who are haters on Valentines Day.
Here’s the deal, I believe Valentines day is a day where people, ALL people, should be reminded to spread a little love. Whether it be to your significant other, your roommate, your best friend, your mom, you cousin, your sister, your acquaintance, your neighbor, your boss, your co-worker etc etc etc. You know why? No one, or at least hardly anyone, ever thinks, “hey, its a Tuesday, I think I will get my [insert person] a flower just to show them I love them and appreciate them.” It is a busy world, we have busy lives (unless you don’t and, therefore have no excuse) and appreciation for others can get taken for granted. Why not have a reminder one day a year that we should show some love to those who mean something to us?
So what if it is a commercialized holiday? So what if you hate the color red, or chocolates, or flowers, or those chalk-tasting conversation hearts? So what if you are single? Don’t you have someone in your life that you love and care for? If not, you need to write in to Ask Us because you have a serious problem on your hands.Celebrate this person or people on this day for the un-romantic love that you share. It is love just the same and there are many different kinds of love.
I enjoy giving gifts on Valentines day. I got my husband our favorite TV show on DVD for Valentines day. It is something we can enjoy together. He got me the cliche’ rose and teddy bear but, they are special because they are from the heart. My best friend gave me a candle and I got her chocolates and a novelty. I got my mom a small gift as well. I wanted to show them that I love them and appreciate them. What’s wrong with that? NOTHING. Oh, and fellas, this topic includes you too. Take your friend for a beer or something. How difficult is that?
(The rose my husband gave me for Valentines Day)
There is too much hatred in the world to loathe a day dedicated to love.
Here is my guide to making the most out of Valentines Day if you are single:
- Make a date with a friend who is also single. If you do not have any friends who are not single, then make a date for the next day or whenever available. Movie, dinner, vegging, whatever you like to do just make it a little more special.
- Give yourself a daily affirmation and think about all those in your life who love you and who you may want to give a token of your appreciation on this day.
- DO NOT get hung up on the fact that you are single or may have spent every Valentines single. It is pathetic to pity yourself for such a thing. Grow up.
- Society should not dictate how you feel on this day. If you want to hate, that’s fine, but at least give it a chance.
- Do something special for yourself. The most important thing in life is to learn to love yourself and have a relationship with yourself. It is only when you love yourself that you can truly be loved by someone else.
- Treat yourself. Go ahead, buy that chocolate covered strawberry. It’s a holiday, enjoy yourself.
Take this day as a day of love and gratitude for all the good things in your life. I know that we can all use a little boost of love and comfort to keep the everyday grind tolerable. Don’t be a hater, don’t be offensive or a Debbie Downer. Spread the love (but not any STD’s, that’s just nasty).
What do you think about Valentines Day? Leave your comments below. Don’t forget to check back on Friday for Skippy’s take on Valentines Day.